I came up with an idea to post a dinner recipe on Sunday for dinner on Monday. It's always hard to get back in the weekly routine, so I thought this might make it a little easier. Since I was talking about my calzones on Facebook and a few wanted the recipe, I decided this will be the first one I share.
CALZONES
Dough (makes 4 calzones)
1 warm water 1pkg or Tablespoon yeast
1 1/2 tsp sugar 3/4 tsp salt
2T oil 2 1/2 cups flour
1T butter Italian seasoning
Sprinkle yeast over warm water in medium bowl (or mixer). Stir in sugar, salt, oil, butter(softened or melted), and seasoning (to taste). Add 2 cups flour and mix well; add remaining 1/2 cup. Let rest for 5 minutes. Split into 4 balls, and roll out on pizza stone--dough may be a little sticky(you can sprinkle flour on dough to roll out).
-----------
I used the following to go in the middle of the calzone:
pepperoni Jon Morrel ham strips
mozarella cheese pineapple chunks (drained)
diced tomatoes(drained) tomato sauce
Sprinkle a bit of cheese on half of the dough; drizzle with tomato sauce. Add pepperoni, tomato sauce, cheese, ham, tomato sauce, cheese, pineapple, tomato sauce.
Fold remaining dough over the ingredients; pinch together to close seams.
I found that drizzling the sauce between layers helps keep it from running off the sides of the dough and easier to pinch together.
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment