Monday, May 17, 2010

Iraq Round 2

April has been a busy month! Chad was selected to go work on the mess decks(galley) as the MDMAA(mess decks master at arms) aka restaurant manager. We were so excited because it is for 90 days and even though he gets up on average at 4:20am to go to work, Chad's home around 2 each day which means more time for us to spend with him! This schedule was to lead up to the ship's deployment this August.

Then came the BIG news....he texted me one morning as I was running errands for Liberty's birthday party and said he had not so good news. It looked like he might be headed back to Iraq. Surprisingly, I wasn't surprised, just thought in my head "huh...." We didn't know any details for a few days. The next week he received the official word--he was headed back to the sandbox and for longer than we were told. I think both of us were numb for a couple of days. He was underway (out to sea) when he got this information so we both had some time to let it sink in.

My first thoughts were
  • He's leaving sooner(mid July) and going for twice as long as we prepared with the ship's deployment
  • How are the kids going to handle the news?
  • When do we tell the kids?
  • The kids knew Chad would be home right before Christmas and we'd all go to Montana together and now we have to break that promise (heart started breaking for my kiddos)
  • He's leaving earlier than expected
  • ME....ALONE....THREE.....KIDS.....for double the time!
  • How can I not go insane but be the best mom my kids need me to be?
  • Can I afford a nanny??
  • Maybe I'll get a housekeeper
  • I think I'll get pedicures each month on the day he left to 'help' me countdown
  • Who's going to bring me pizza when I'm having a rough day with the kids?
  • Okay, God, obviously You wanted Chad to go to Iraq and You chose us to complete this mission....use me to let Your light shine through me during this time.
  • Thank You Lord that even though you chose to have us be apart for longer that you placed us in Paradise with pools, beach, palm trees, sunshine, AND blue skies!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!

I'm sure I thought many more things but the past few weeks have been a blur. You might be thinking, why wasn't your thoughts more focused on Chad and his safety? I must say that the first time around we were scared with the unknown! We didn't know what to expect or how safe he'd be or how much contact with each other we'd have. Since this job is the same as last time, we know Chad will be in one of the safest and most heavily guarded places in Iraq, will be working in an office with alot of the brass(captains, generals, etc). If it is still the same as 2005/06, he will have 12hr shifts/7 days a week and will be able to call us daily, and get on Skype regularly. On a ship, we'd just have access to email and pay phones in port so this is much better.

We found out that the billet (job opening) was sent out to each ship in Pearl Harbor and Chad was the ONLY person who fit all 3 requirements so we have a peace knowing that God has His hand in this situation and wants Chad over there.

The hardest part is waiting to get the show on the road. Saying goodbye will be incredibly hard and even though I am not a mushy person and not prone to crying, I'm sure there will be tears but hopefully no ugly cry!!! After about a week of mourning, I'll start adjust to life as a single mom.

Just 3 weeks after Chad leaves, the kids start school at Hickam Elementary(on Air Force base)! We are super excited!! Savvy will be in 2nd grade and Jax will be in Junior Kindergarten! We have heard wonderful things about this school and they have great after school activities like art class :) God is so good!! Savannah did not get accepted to this school last year and we have been on the wait list since Feb 1 of this year!

Back to Chad.. haha He will be in Iraq in August. He is scheduled to spend 210 days "boots on the ground" in theatre before he can head home. He will have to wait for a replacement, hand in all his gear, and finish his post deployment check-in then he'll be headed home. Hopefully by next Easter we'll have him back.

We are planning on taking a little family vacation, hopefully to Kauai, after Chad's home to just get away from everything and something for the kids to look forward to while he's gone--a prize at the end of the tunnel! My dad also mentioned something about him and mom coming out for Grandpa and Grandma time and sending Chad and I on our own little getaway for a few days! An ideal way for them to "thaw out" from the bitter cold Montana weather haha

The biggest thing to getting through a deployment is your attitude and how busy you keep yourself and the kids. I don't pretend that everything is GREAT and WONDERFUL, but if I have a negative attitude about it, the kids will be affected and in turn will start acting the same way as me. Will there be random times when I tear up or my heart aches for my best friend? Sure, and it's okay for the kids to see that I miss their dad so much and lets them know it's okay for them to show emotion too. The hardest besides saying goodbye will be celebrating Christmas with him on Skype. Definitely bittersweet. We'll have to make sure to send him lots of presents and Christmas goodies--party mix, fudge, caramel corn, etc :)

This time will be a great opportunity to teach them that we are serving our country as a family and I have told the kids that Chad is going over there so some little girl and boy can have their daddy come home to play with them, read them bedtime stories and tuck them into bed at night. And for them to be proud to tell others that their dad is protecting our country and fighting for our continued freedom! When it gets rough Chad and I keep telling ourselves that by him going, some guy can come back home to his family. That's what the military is all about--protecting families and our country so all of you(and me) can tuck your kids in bed at night. We love serving our country and being a military family. It's not easy road, and my motto is "expect the unexpected", but Jesus never promised us an easy life.

If anyone wants to come visit, we'd love to have you! It makes the time go by faster(and I enjoy company)--a week to clean and prepare for guests, a week to entertain, and a week to re-couperate!! That's practically 1 month right there!

Also, if there are any teachers out there who would want to have their class sponsor a soldier next school year I know of one!

3 comments:

The Jordan Family said...

I'll bring you pizza any night you'd like sweetie!!

Amanda said...

Angel, you have such a great attitude about this next step in your marriage, motherhood and life in general... I personally am proud to know you. God bless the Eschenroeders!!

Mills Family said...

We so want to come and visit you guys!! Ken and I are trying to figure out how to make it work, since we'd love to hang out with you and keep you company!! More to come (hopefully)