Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympics Junkie

Okay, I admit it. I'm an Olympics Junkie....No, maybe Die Hard Fan is a better description! I thought I was just patriotic and teaching my kids all about the importance of the Olympics and the world coming together for 2 weeks of peace and harmony.

But, looking around the house after 1 week of the Olympics, I have recognized I have an issue. I don't know what to call it--"Watch the Olympics and ignore everything else" disorder, or just admit that housework pales in comparison to the opportunity to watch this great sporting event that ONLY COMES TO OUR TELEVISIONS ONCE EVERY FOUR YEARS!!!!

Yes, I have stayed up well past midnight (even to 1am) EVERY night this week watching with great anticipation the swimming, gymnastics, and beach volleyball (my favorites this week)..... I was so tired one morning that I actually let the kids watch TV for an hour in bed with me!! Do I feel convicted? Nope! Blame it on the big "O"!

I also have come to the realization a few things about myself.
  • As we took a swim yesterday, I realized the next Dana Torres, I am not!
  • As we hiked up a steep hill today on Bainbridge Island, I decided I wouldn't even make the Olympic Trials in Track and Field--not to mention hurdles!!
  • I could do cycling as long as I'm the "tow behind" that you see kids riding in! I can navigate!
  • As far as gymnastics goes--nice dream, but I've never been able to do a cartwheel in my life...Not the splits either! In fact, I don't know if I've ever touched my toes with my fingernails while stretching in gym class......
  • Savannah just doesn't understand why I can't be a Seahawks cheerleader--I know this doesn't pertain to the "O", but does have something to do with coordination!

Now if the Olympics Committee is up for suggestions I have a few:

  • I could definitely compete in "How high can the dishes pile up in the kitchen before crashing down"
  • Stuffing everything in your master bedroom closet in record time before greeting your friends at the door!
  • Letting your oven go without cleaning it for....oh, I am a little too embarassed to say how long. Thanks, Mom, for cleaning it for me!
  • I just saw the semi finals for the 100m dash (men's) and they finished in 9.85 seconds! Give me a few screaming kids in Target, and I can be out the door, in my car, buckled, and driving in less time than that! The kids in the car, too.....well, that would take another minute or so! haha

So, if any of you were planning on coming up to visit this week, please feel free to shove aside the laundry that has piled up on the couch. We're taking another week off!

And, if any of you reading were on the riding trail in Woodinville (the one that goes from Seattle to Issaquah) on Wed. and saw 4 kids cheering for all the cyclists and runners ("GO GO GO GO GO.......WOO HOO WOO HOO....over and over again), waving beautiful yellow weeds in their honor, those were my kids and their friends.. Yes, I am a proud mom this week!

Okay commercial is over and Michael Phelps is going for his 8th Gold and I REFUSE to miss it!!!!

No comments: