After dinner, we were relaxing in our lovely Aloha furniture, courtesy of the Super 8 Motel next to the airport (just kidding! I'll have to post pics of our not so Pottery Barn style furnishings!haha), and Chad showed us his leatherman he was given at work. Afterwards, he put it in the case and set it down.
Chad and I were in the middle of conversation and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jackson pull the leatherman out of its case. With all the other leathermans I've come in contact with, they are difficult to open, and the tools/blades are even harder to pull out, so I didn't think anything of it. I also didn't know it had a knife in it.
All the sudden Jackson cried out in pain and I saw the blade of the knife. I grabbed it, shouted at Chad and then the blood started gushing out from his finger. I know from seeing my brothers get hurt and need stitches that you bleed alot. My main concern was if his finger was the only place he was cut and how deep it was.
I hauled him over to the sink and ran it under cold water which made him scream. Then Chad and I tag-teamed to stop the bleeding, but every time I went to clean the blood and try to apply the band-aid, Chad would let go of the finger. After a few tries of communicating, I was able to put 2 bandaids on it (oh, yes, Jackson HATES bandaids), and we headed to the ER. It probably would have healed on its own, but we wanted to make sure it didn't hit the bone (he sliced his finger at a downward angle).
In the midst of all of this commotion, Savannah was borderline hysterical. She was crying and crying and with seeing all the blood she thought he was going to die. I had to explain to her this is probably the first of many trips to the ER for stitches. Boys will be boys. I'm just happy we made it almost 4 years without incident.
In the midst of all of this commotion, Savannah was borderline hysterical. She was crying and crying and with seeing all the blood she thought he was going to die. I had to explain to her this is probably the first of many trips to the ER for stitches. Boys will be boys. I'm just happy we made it almost 4 years without incident.
The staff was real nice and the kids got popsicles while waiting. The worst parts were trying to take the bandaids off and when they numbed his finger up. I haven't heard him scream like that since he was a baby. When they gave him lidocaine, I had Savannah turn around (didn't know how she'd react to seeing that and all of us holding Jackson down). He was a trooper, though, and watched as they sutured him up. Then we talked about how cool they looked and how he was now like Spiderman with two spiders on his finger. He even tried tugging on them out of curiosity. Ouch! He was really tired afterwards, though, and fell asleep on Chad's lap.
When we got home, Jackson got set up with a movie, and I told Savannah how proud I was of her when we were at the Dr. I asked what she thought when she heard Jackson screaming and she wasn't looking, and she said she thought they were cutting off Jackson's finger or hand....Note to self: explain what they are about to do instead of letting her imagination run wild...Needless to say, I'm pretty tired today....Maybe now life here will start to be less exciting....and then comes baby! 3 weeks from today and our lives will forever be changed (as Chad pointed out--I say this every time before we have a baby)!
3 comments:
Oh my gosh! Your life is definitely not dull!! Poor, sweet Jax! The pictures brought tears to my eyes! I hope he gets to feeling better soon!
Jackson-
Maddie says... Ouch.... she has the chicken pox right now and is feeling real ichy. Wish we were in sunny Hawaii right now instead of snowy Montana.
Miss you guys.....
oh my word! i'm so glad everything is ok!! what a traumatizing experience for everyone. deep breaths as you don't want that baby to come too early:)
Post a Comment