Friday, December 12, 2008

Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

As I look forward to Chad coming home tomorrow after being gone for a month, I realize we are all ready for him to come back....

Today the kids had an amazing amount of energy--both good and bad. One minute they were playing, the next fighting, and the next bouncing all over the furniture. I know the furniture issue shouldn't be one, but it's hard to swallow when you only have one couch and it's been ripped up a couple of different times. I lacked patience today, the kids didn't nap, and quiet time was a disaster. I feel all the consistency with obeying and manners has gone out the window (and yet I forget they are 5 and 3), and it makes me even more excited for Chad to come home and play with them. I have a hard time getting down on the floor and playing games, reading, and spending time with them. I don't know why. It's not like I am on the go all the time or have so much going on at home that I can't spend 5, 10, or 20 minutes with them. And, yet, I make myself the priority.

Tonight, they were in bed by 6:45. I don't think they've ever gone to bed that early before. I was enjoying the peace and quiet while reading blogs, when I read one from Mary Beth Chapman (Steven Curtis Chapman's wife), and was immedietly convicted. Let me share a portion of it with you:

"As I anticipate Christmas 2008, I have many thoughts flying through my heart and head. The last several days, my mind has not been able to stop thinking about Mary, the mother of Jesus. Pregnant and scared, knowing that the baby she was carrying eventually would pay the ultimate price of His life. How would I have lived differently if I knew that my time with Maria was going to be this short? Regretfully, I would have lived much differently. I would have purposely hugged and kissed more. I would have tried to memorize and lock away in my heart certain smells and smiles. I would have colored more and worked less. I would have laughed more and fussed less. Bedtime wouldn’t have become a chore to check off the list of things to get done. Instead it would have been more of an opportunity to listen about the day and offer whatever words were needed. The swimming pool wouldn’t have been too cold to swim in. The flowers in the garden would have all been picked, and definitely more ice cream would have been consumed!"

I am so thankful I have my children here with me and am even more grateful for God's unfailing grace and mercy and second chances. I don't want to sweat the small stuff and when its too late wish I had taken time to ENJOY my children more........

Jesus created them in HIS image and gave them the personalities they have, and I want to be more like HIM--letting the kids come to me and making them feel important, not second to Facebook.....although I am ready for Chad to come home!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

what a good reminder Angel! I too am quilty of having times where I can't wait for the kids to go to bed so I can do my own thing or have other things to do than get down and play with them. Thank you for the reminder.